Home  :  About the procedure  :  Locations  :  Message forums  :  Photo albums  :  Stories  :  Links

VEPTR Forums
VEPTR Forums
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Post op question
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> VEPTR OperationMessage format

whislermom
Posted 2011-06-17 4:33 PM (#41182)
Subject: Post op question

Myles had his implant surgery June 7 and was in the hospital for 8 days. He did really well. He got two groupings of fused ribs separated and two rods placed on the left side. Right after surgery his shoulders looked really straight not perfect, but a lot better. We have been home for a few days and his shoulder seem to be sloping again. It's not as bad as they were but they don't seem as straight as in the hospital. Anyone have the same experience? Also they sent us home with oxycodone and Tylenol. They were adament before surgery that he not have the motrin because of the bleeding properties in it. How soon after surgery can I use it. He has always seemed to respond better to motrin than to Tylenol. Thanks for any info you might have.

Brenda

Edited by whislermom 2011-06-17 4:36 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Carmell
Posted 2011-06-17 9:31 PM (#41183 - in reply to #41182)
Subject: RE: Post op question

Expert

Hi Brenda,

Glad to hear Myles is doing well.  Hope he continues haaving a smooth recovery.

His body dynamics will be in a constant state of change.  Many variables - posture, if he feels well or not, muscles, etc.  Try not to worry about the shoulders.  It sounds like his body is "settling" into the new posture.  Also when he gets ready for an expansion you may notice his shoulders becoming uneven again.  After the expansion (and all expansions) the shoulders will likely be even again, until the next time.  This is normal.

Most seasoned VEPTR surgeons allow Motrin, unless there is an underlyiing reason not to have it.  Call the surgeon's office and ask.  Braydon always alternates Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours so he doesn't go longer than 3 hours without meds.  Why are they still saying he has a bleeding risk?  Interesting.

The Handleys
Posted 2011-06-17 10:06 PM (#41184 - in reply to #41182)

Hi Brenda,

Motrin has never been an issue for us post op. My 21 month old daughter has had 4 VEPTR surgeries and they have always given her motrin after surgery. At first it's the IV version Toradol, and then when the IV comes out they give her motrin and tylenol as well as valium for muscle spasms. I would double check with a doctor, but i'm pretty sure motrin would be okay especially by now.

As far as the shoulder issue, we have also noticed changes like that with our daughter. Sometimes it will look better right after surgery and then it seems like things regress a little bit. I think there are several factors that contribute to it looking different. My daughters head always goes to the side for a few weeks after surgery and Dr Campbell told us it was the righting reflex (anyone correct me if i'm wrong). I guess it takes a little while for the brain to recognize the new orientaion of the spine and it takes a little time to adjust. I think this affects the way the shoulders look also. Swelling after surgery can also cover up what things really look like, so when it goes down things become visible that weren't immediatley after. Also, if Myles had the big bandage/pad on his back after surgery and now it's off, that could have affected the way it looked. We always notice when we take off Ava's bangages, we have a new perspective of how things look.

We have noticed with our daughter that over time, most things look better and some things look a little worse, but it's all a part of the process of changing the spine and chest. I worry over every little change I see in my daughter, but I try to remember that this procedure is our best hope and we have seen a world of difference in the quality of life my daughter enjoys since getting the VEPTR.

Good luck and I hope this helps somewhat!

Sincerely,

Lindsay

Edited by The Handleys 2011-06-17 10:07 PM
kchristensen
Posted 2011-06-18 12:45 AM (#41186 - in reply to #41182)

Veteran

Hi Brenda,
Glad to hear that Myles did so well with the surgery. I do remember wondering what happened to Carter's shoulders after his surgery. My parents noticed it as well. I wonder if they are stiffer immediately after surgery and then as their body loosens up, the shoulder sort of falls into place. His shoulders definitely look more off as we get closer to his next expansion date. Good luck with everything,
wen1195
Posted 2011-06-18 5:57 PM (#41187 - in reply to #41182)
Subject: Re: Post op question

New User

Shaylan just had her surgery on 6/10 and they gave us the script for Lortab and said to alternate that with motrin and that seems to be doing the job. I also noticed her shoulders were straighter but she has taken to leaning a different way trying to get her new "center" but when she gets tired she droops more and drags her foot.
Glad he did great with his surgery and hope he does as well as Shaylan is doing.

Wendi
whislermom
Posted 2011-06-20 8:43 PM (#41190 - in reply to #41187)

Thank you all for your help. What a great site to have available to us newbie parents! Myles is pretty much off the oxycodone except at night. He is doing well during the day with motrin and Tylenol. We go see myles' general surgeon tomorrow for a wound check. Anxious to have that incision healed in a few weeks so he can get back to swimming which he absolutely loves!

Brenda
DStepp
Posted 2011-06-24 8:47 AM (#41195 - in reply to #41182)

Regular

So glad surgery went well!!!! Bradleys shoulder did the same and it has evened out a little:)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.2 PR 1
© 2002-2005 PD9 Software