Home  :  About the procedure  :  Locations  :  Message forums  :  Photo albums  :  Stories  :  Links

VEPTR Forums
VEPTR Forums
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do you ever have problems going through airport security with the VEPTR
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

AKparentsofAva
Posted 2007-11-02 3:35 AM (#29685)
Subject: Do you ever have problems going through airport security with the VEPTR

I just read that one should carry a doctors note if they have any type of metal implant. I was curious about it because we will be traveling quite a lot for Ava's medical needs and I wondered if this was ever an issue for anyone.

Thanks
Amber
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Leanna
Posted 2007-11-02 7:17 AM (#29688 - in reply to #29685)
Subject: RE: Do you ever have problems going through airport security with the VEPTR

Veteran

I would be curious to know that too. I asked about the MRI because of the problems with metal and I was told titanium does not cause problems. Airports may be different however.

I found a statement online about airport security:
"After breaking my ankle a couple of years ago, I was fitted with a Titanium plate, approximately 3 1/2 inches by 1 inch, and 9 Titanium screws. Well since then, I have been wanded by several airport security guards at different airports and have yet had the plate or screws detected. I guess if you can afford Titanium, it is OK to make a gun out of is and bring it on board."

and another comment:
"Titanium responds like other conductive substances in the presence of the field generated most metal detectors. Not being a ferrous metal the response isn't anywhere near that of iron, which is the most ferrous of them all. The walk-through metal detectors used in most "security" applications are tuned to fairly high squawk thresholds so people wearing such dangerous items as zippers, snaps, eyeglasses, braces and jewelry won't be strip searched. (I've noticed that post 9/11, it takes much less than it used to. I used to be able to walk through with my watch on and a pocket full of change.) "

I think I would call the doctor and ask for one anyway. Based on the comments the answer is no. But read this...

"I just posted something about the TSA goons at the Fort Wayne (IN) airport who, today, detected the metal screw in my wife's ankle that holds the bones together."

Just guessing his wifes metal screw was titanium as most implants are I think.
Maggie's Mom
Posted 2007-11-02 7:24 AM (#29690 - in reply to #29685)
Subject: Re: Do you ever have problems going through airport security with the VEPTR

Elite Veteran

We have not had any problems and we fly several times a year.
Susanne
Kimm0330
Posted 2007-11-02 7:27 AM (#29691 - in reply to #29685)
Subject: Re: Do you ever have problems going through airport security with the VEPTR

Extreme Veteran

We have flown a couple of times and we have never had a problem but I do carry a note just to be on the safe side.
sawyer's mom
Posted 2007-11-02 8:20 AM (#29696 - in reply to #29685)

Extreme Veteran

I was told by the docs that titanium does not set off the security scanners and we have never had a problem.
As for the MRI, it's only the ferromagnetic (magnets stick to them) metals that are a problem. Again, titanium is fine.
It is indeed a miracle in many ways!
Bryan
Posted 2007-11-02 9:58 AM (#29700 - in reply to #29685)
Subject: RE: Do you ever have problems going through airport security with the VEPTR

We too have never had any problems at the airport. We have other members in our extended family with other types of titanium implants and they have never had a problem either. We always carry a card from the doctor that we had laminated but we have never had to use it.
wilcoxs6
Posted 2007-11-02 11:16 AM (#29701 - in reply to #29685)

Regular

Amber -

Flying in and out of Seattle has never been a problem for us at all. I used to worry about the titanium, but it has never been an issue (enen at the Denver side). I always figured that even if they did ask and I didn't have a note, one peek down Abby's back and her scars would convince them that it was an implant. However, I did ask at one point, and CHRMC had no problam at all giving me a note with Dr. Song's signature. (I asked about it the day of pre-ops and they had if for me either right away, or at least on the day of surgery - plenty of time.) It was a different nurse that I asked, but I'm sure that Patience would have no problem doing this. My other concern lately has been taking narcotics on board the plane. They say that medication is not an issue as long as it is in a prescription bottle, but then there is that "2 ounces" rule. Abby always flys home on tylenol with codeine, so I am always leery of that issue. So far, there has never been a problem (knock on wood), but I suppose that if it were a big concern, Patience would readily write a note for that too.

One other thought that I have experienced, as Abby is bigger, I don't take a stroller anymore, but sometimes, after surgery, it is difficult for her to walk through the airport. In the past the nurses have given me a note for her stating that she has just had surgery and would they please provide a wheelchair. That worked, but then one time when I didn't have a note, Abby had a really hard time and the employee at the ticket counter just called a wheelchair for her without question. Big hint though.....leave plenty of time to do this as we almost missed our flight because it takes a while for the wheelchair to get from wherever it "lives" to you at the ticket counter!!!

One other thought, since Ava is still so small, if you are interested I could get you the info on the carseat that I used for Abby during travel. It was fairly expensive, but so well worth it. I don't have the name with me here, but it was a convertable seat (could go front or rear facing), I think it would be used for a child up to 40 pounds (Abby is just now 42 pounds at 6 years, so you can use it a long time) and it converts to a stroller very easily. It was soooo nice to have her own car seat that she was used to and have a stroller at the same time!! It really helped lighten the load for me between car, airport, rental car, hotel/Ronald McDonald, hospital and back again. When she was little, Abby was never in any shape to walk out of the hospital at discharge and it really helped. Plus, I was always carrying so much more than I brought in (balloons, flowers, etc). It sounds like you are a little like us in that my husband usually stays home d/t work and care for the other kids, so I am on my own hauling all this stull around. This carseat was a huge lifesaver!!
Carmell
Posted 2007-11-02 1:00 PM (#29704 - in reply to #29685)

Expert

Same experiences here.  Now you know why its against the law to have a 100% titanium gun!  YIKES.  A gun made from titanium wouldn't set off metal detectors.

When Braydon and I went to NYC in April, I asked the security people if she could see that he has implants in his back.  She said she could see a concentration of metal in that area, but not enough to warrant a security check.  So, apparently it does show up to a slight degree, but not enough to set off the alarms.

Braydon has a business card-sized card from Synthes that states, officially, that he has metal implants in his back.  He always keeps it in his wallet and thinks he's very important because of it.  It's kinda cool to have and show people it's official.  He's never needed to use it, but he has it.

Happy Traveling! 

Zoes Nana
Posted 2007-11-02 1:15 PM (#29706 - in reply to #29704)

Expert

FUNNY STORY...
WE HAVE TRAVELED SEVERAL TIMES, AND IT IS NOT ZOE THAT CAUSES THE PROBLEMS, WITH ALL
HER HARDWARE...BUT SOMEHOW IT IS ME...
I SET THE MACHINE OFF, AND THEY KEEP ASKING ME, DO I HAVE ARTIFICIAL
HIPS, OR KNEES...THEY KEEP SAYING,
"ARE YOU SURE"??...LOL
GOD, HOW IS WISH SOME DAYS I DID...LOL...

TRAVEL SAFE..
GOD BLESS...
shannon p.
Posted 2007-11-02 3:05 PM (#29711 - in reply to #29685)

Extreme Veteran

Hello, Amber.

We have never had any problems flying with Caroline's implants. We always go through the special service line as we also travel with a suction machine and her feeding(G-tube) equip. and sometimes have to let them look in her "travel" bag, but they've never given us a hard time.

Shannon

Shannon
Jackie
Posted 2007-11-02 7:03 PM (#29719 - in reply to #29685)

Elite Veteran

I usually request a wheel chair for our trips home from the hospital, with an airport worker pushing Siobhan, (along with all her toys, x-rays etc....) Because of that they ask Siobhan to stand and use the wand to check her - That wand ALWAYS beeps when they sweep it over her back! The ground staff at SLC tell me that their wand metal detectors are set pretty high!
But when Siobhan walks through the metal detectors they don't go off - Not even at Heathrow Airport - and they have VERY high security!!! Because we often have a copy of her x-rays, that is usually enough of an explanation

Jacki
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.2 PR 1
© 2002-2005 PD9 Software