Home  :  About the procedure  :  Locations  :  Message forums  :  Photo albums  :  Stories  :  Links

VEPTR Forums
VEPTR Forums
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Post Op Scares
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> VEPTR OperationMessage format

LuckyMe
Posted 2012-09-15 9:48 PM (#41616)
Subject: Post Op Scares

Hi There,

I think it's been over a year since I've been here, and I am ashamed to admit that I only came back because I had a question . Youssouf finally had his Veptr . after going on war with his doctor. Unfortunately, we were told that surgery was not a complete success, and here's why:

The Doctor said that because of his young age (3years) and restricted trunk space, Youssouf only got two veptrs on the curved side of his over 90 degrees scoliosis. Such info was good to us as we expected it. However the doc said that the veptrs were not enough to straiten his back and are not strong enough on their own. which means we will have to come back in a few months for veptr three to be put in the convex side of his back

to add to this, the doc said that because of how fragile the whole area is now, youssouf should not move, walk or do anything until he gets the third veptr in a 3 to 5 months

Now I don't know how Youssouf's recovery will be, we're only at day4 post op. but so far he has been doing great. my concern is how will I limit the mobility of a really active 3 year old who attends school and loves to play, especially after having spent thousands of Physio to get him up and walking?
please if you've had a similar situation or operations, let me know how it went, and how you handled your little ones mobility.

thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nicki, Alex's Mom
Posted 2012-09-17 3:51 PM (#41617 - in reply to #41616)
Subject: RE: Post Op Scares

Elite Veteran

I know that typically VEPTR patients don't have to wear any type of brace, but I've heard of a few doing so. If the surgeon is worried about too much movement before the 3rd device, I wonder if a brace might help protect things in the meantime?

Wish I had more advice. Hope everything goes well!
LuckyMe
Posted 2012-09-20 12:31 PM (#41618 - in reply to #41617)

Thanks for the reply,

well he basically said that it would be bad for the skin. and that because he is going for surgery soon then the brace will have to be redon after that one.

I am just too concerned about how much movement is too much, because I certainly cannot restrain a three year old for 3 months

how do you determine what's too much movement?

Thanks
Amina
Nicki, Alex's Mom
Posted 2012-11-14 7:39 AM (#41625 - in reply to #41618)

Elite Veteran

I was just wondering how things were going with Youssouf and his recovery and also his restrictions! I hope things are going well!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.2 PR 1
© 2002-2005 PD9 Software