Home  :  About the procedure  :  Locations  :  Message forums  :  Photo albums  :  Stories  :  Links

VEPTR Forums
VEPTR Forums
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Growing Rods VS VEPTR
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Development and CareMessage format

thebratpack
Posted 2011-02-08 4:57 PM (#40673)
Subject: Growing Rods VS VEPTR

I know I have seen this discussion on here before, but I can't seem to find the thread! So here it goes again: what is the different between the growing rods and the VEPTR? My son currently has the VEPTR system. He had it placed in Sept/Oct 2008 at around 9 mos. of age. He just turned 3 a few weeks ago. We went to see our ortho for our pre-op this past week (his next lengthening is Mar. 3) and the doc was saying that we might get one more, maybe 2, lengthenings out of this system (he's only ever had one, it's never been replaced) and then we may have to switch to the growing rods. He believes the VEPTR is no longer controlling his curve. Now, I may be wrong, but aren't the growing rods a step back? 9 months ago we were talking about replacing this system with the VEPTR 2, and now we're talking about growing rods! Any info would be great. The ortho said that each type of system only lasts for about 5 years before the effectiveness wears off (I'm assuming with a severe curve like his). So the plan is to get him to the age of 4-5 with this system, switch him to the growing rods which will hopefully get him to the age of 9-10, and then do spinal fusion. Is spinal fusion then the end of the line? AAHHH! I know it's a ways off, but I am a little stressed right now!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Callum's Dad
Posted 2011-02-09 11:56 AM (#40676 - in reply to #40673)
Subject: RE: Growing Rods VS VEPTR

I too have the same question of the difference between growing rods vs. veptr. My son is 1 yr and the Dr. said we need Veptr for his curve but cause he is so young they are trying to wait couple months by bracing him so we dont run out of options or have to do as many surgeries. Is there only so many times these devices can be adjusted once in? Any answers would definetly help me too since growing rods and veptr were all thrown at us too and it always seems that the questions come up once we leave the Dr. office.
Thanks
Wendy (Callum's Mom)
Zoes Nana
Posted 2011-02-09 4:00 PM (#40682 - in reply to #40673)
Subject: Re: Growing Rods VS VEPTR

Expert

SOME POST I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN READING...
http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-7325.html

http://www.veptr.com/megabbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3995&posts=...

http://www.orthogate.org/events/webcasts/growing-rods-and-the-veptr...
Callum's Dad
Posted 2011-02-09 7:55 PM (#40689 - in reply to #40682)

Thanks so much I really appreciate the info!
Wendy
thebratpack
Posted 2011-02-10 8:23 PM (#40700 - in reply to #40673)

Thank-you so much for finding the thread and providing other links! I will definitely be looking into those!!

Dyana
Aschdons mom
Posted 2011-02-24 4:07 PM (#40804 - in reply to #40673)

Veteran

Aschdon is getting surgery March 3 as well. He has the Veptr 2 already and so far it has worked fine for him. I dont think personally we would switch to the growth rods because of the risk to the spine. I know our situation might be different as my son is wheelchair bound. The rods have to be adjusted as they grow just like growth rods and each system can only last as long as there are notches to allow the expansion. For my son when the system is replaced it is no worse than the expansions he gets inbetween.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.2 PR 1
© 2002-2005 PD9 Software