Home  :  About the procedure  :  Locations  :  Message forums  :  Photo albums  :  Stories  :  Links

VEPTR Forums
VEPTR Forums
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

physical therapy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> VEPTR OperationMessage format

kchristensen
Posted 2011-10-03 11:40 PM (#41357)
Subject: physical therapy

Veteran

I was wondering if anyone is using a physical therapist. Carter's right arm does not fully extend above his head like his left. I don't know if it just isn't possible or if we should be getting some physical therapy. He also has a very obscure right nipple and has little muscle under it. Is there anyone else that has that issue? I was wondering if your child is older if you have considered a pectoral implant. I think we will just leave up to Carter when he gets older, but I am interested to know if anyone else has that condition.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Carmell
Posted 2011-10-04 1:12 AM (#41358 - in reply to #41357)
Subject: RE: physical therapy

Expert

Hi Kristy,

Braydon used to see a physical therapist once every 2-3 months.  He went mostly to make sure there weren't subtle changes and to watch for potential regression in his nerve and muscle strength.  It was very well worth the expense and time to go.  Braydon was able to learn exercises to use before and after expansion surgeries to keep as limber and mobile as possible.  Braydon's biggest issues were with his legs/hamstrings.  Keeping them stretched helped a lot.  He practiced side-to-side movements that were very helpful.  Lots of things for lower body issues.

Braydon's right side is affected.  His right arm does not have the full extension/mobility the left arm has.  However, with PT he has improved.  Anatomically he's not able to have full use because of the anomalies.

Braydon's right chest area is underdeveloped.  Now that he's 16yrs old it is very obvious - when he has his shirt off, which is only at home.  He will never have the muscle tissue naturally to have a fully developed pec.  It doesn't bother him, yet, and I never mention it to him.  I figure if he ever becomes vain, he may do something about it, cosmetically.  Knowing Braydon, that likely won't happen.  It is just different.  That's all.

Have a great day!

Diane17
Posted 2011-10-05 8:24 PM (#41363 - in reply to #41357)
Subject: Re: physical therapy

Elite Veteran

What a great discussion. Noah can not fully extended his r arm above his head. Dr. Simmons doesn't think he ever will but has discussed possibly trying a more involved surgery. I never thought about implants for the under developed muscle but maybe someday. Noah would require more skin though. Skinny little thing I know thats shocking around here. Noah did have PT / OT up to age 3 1/2 I think. Right now his team in SA think regular play is the best therapy for Noah. If they only knew how much he liked to wrestle.
kchristensen
Posted 2011-10-06 12:44 AM (#41364 - in reply to #41363)

Veteran

Hi Carmell and Diane.
Thank you so much for your input. I think maybe we should try some physical therapy.
Zoes Nana
Posted 2011-10-06 6:56 AM (#41365 - in reply to #41357)

Expert

KRISTY, AS CARMELL SPOKE HERE OF 'BRAYDON', ZOE IS LIKE HIS 'MIRROR IMAGE'...HERS IS THE LEFT ARM SHE HAS PROBLEMS WITH...(LEFT SIDE VEPTRS'...SHE HAS GAINED IMPROVEMENT THRU THE YEARS WITH THERAPY, AND SHE ALSO DOES HER OWN THERAPY...SHE KNOWS WHEN IT IS BECOMING STIFF, ECT...SWIMMING HAS BEEN A GREAT HELP TO HER AS WELL...GOD BLESS...
"Braydon's right side is affected. His right arm does not have the full extension/mobility the left arm has. However, with PT he has improved. Anatomically he's not able to have full use because of the anomalies."
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.2 PR 1
© 2002-2005 PD9 Software