Home  :  About the procedure  :  Locations  :  Message forums  :  Photo albums  :  Stories  :  Links

VEPTR Forums
VEPTR Forums
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to Forums
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   VEPTR Sites/Hospitals -> United statesMessage format

wen1195
Posted 2011-04-11 8:51 PM (#41000)
Subject: New to Forums

New User

Hi, my name is Wendi and I'm mom to a sweet 2 1/2 yr old little girl Shaylan.
We just got a date for her to get the veptr on June 10 and found this site while looking for more info on what it's all about. She has a 60 degree scoliosis curve that has been slowly getting worse as she grows. I noticed her rib protrusion when she was 4 months and she has been braced since just after her first birthday. We thought this wasn't gonna be done till she was about 5 but her curve has gotten worse even braced, and it's affecting her hips and legs.
I know from having an autistic son that it's good to have ppl to talk to who are going thru the same thing so that you can bounce questions and experiences between.
Hope to be able to talk to some of you

Wendi
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Carmell
Posted 2011-04-11 10:36 PM (#41001 - in reply to #41000)
Subject: RE: New to Forums

Expert

Hi Wendi and Welcome!

You will find that each VEPTR kid on this list has a very different medical background.  The one common denominator is the need for VEPTR.  This is a great place to share experiences and offer support to each other.  I hope you find this a great place to share.

My son, Braydon, has had VEPTR implants for almost 10 years (in Aug 2001).  He is an active teenager who lives life to the fullest.  Many best wishes to you and Shaylan.  Let us know if you have any questions.  Looking forward to learning more about your family.

TomC
Posted 2011-04-11 11:24 PM (#41002 - in reply to #41000)
Subject: RE: New to Forums

New User

Hello, my name is Tom and i'm the father of Shaylan, I appreciate such a quick reply to my wife's post. We do have alot of questions and since reading over your forums I seem to have even more. The information is great and I again really appreciate the people that have taken time to share their experiences. Seems that it's got the chance to be quite overwhelming with all you have to do pre-op and post-op for our daughter. Really does seem worth it though. I look forward to hearing from more people soon.

Tom
ColleenD
Posted 2011-04-12 12:37 AM (#41003 - in reply to #41000)
Subject: Re: New to Forums

Hi Tom and Wendi,
Welcome to the group. Our son will be 4 next week and will be having the veptr surgery on the 27th of April. He has a 67 degree curve without fused ribs or other anomalies of the spine. I am curious if you were also offered the option of traditional growing rods for your daughter (assuming she has no other spine or chest wall anomalies). We were offered both options and have opted for veptr- even though it is not a local option for us. We will be traveling from Northern California to Seattle for surgery and expansions. We too are so thankful to have found this forum. It has been a great place for information and support. Looking forward to hearing more about your little girl.
Zoes Nana
Posted 2011-04-12 6:51 AM (#41004 - in reply to #41000)

Expert

TOM, AND WENDI, WELCOME TO THE VEPTR BOARD ....
ZOE IS A VATER/VACTERL KIDDO, AND HAD HER'VEPTR SURGERY' GOING ON 11 YEARS NOW...AND SHE WAS ABOUT 2 1/2 WHEN SHE STARTED...AND TURNED 13 IN FEB...
IT WAS A LIVE SAVING SURGERY, AND HAS GIVEN HER A WONDERFUL QUALITY OF LIFE...THIS IS NOT AN EASY PROCESS, BUT ONE
WELL WORTH IT...SHE IS A VERY GOOD STUDENT, LOVES EVERY MINUTE OF HER LIFE...AND ODDLY ENOUGH NEVER COMPLAINS ABOUT THE MANY SURGERIES...WE LIVE IN PENNSYLVANIA, AND
ZOE HAD HER IMPLANT SURGERY DONE IN BOSTON BY DR. EMANS, AND DR. ROBERT CAMPBELL....
WHERE ARE YOU HAVE THE SURGERY DONE...
AGAIN, 'WELCOME' AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING MORE FROM YOU...
GOD BLESS...
wen1195
Posted 2011-04-12 8:46 AM (#41007 - in reply to #41000)

New User

Thanks for the warm welcome it will be good to talk to ppl just before and lots after to help us get through the surgery and recovery, I know it will be stressful.

@Colleen, she has no other abnormalities but we were not offered the growing rods but it is a question to ask the dr in May for the pre-op question session. Her dr is the only one in the area that does it so we got lucky with the fact that he has watched her progress since she was 6 months old so I'm thinking that is why he only offered the veptr.
Rachel
Posted 2011-04-12 1:30 PM (#41009 - in reply to #41000)

Regular

Welcome!! This is a great place for questions. This board has been a great source of support for our family. Our son Collin is 6 years old, he had is VEPTR's placed when he was 4 years old. We are very happy with his progress and how well he has recovered. All the best to you!!
michelle wessollek
Posted 2011-04-12 6:37 PM (#41010 - in reply to #41000)

Extreme Veteran

Hello just wanted to put in my welcome.I have a 7 year old son who started his veptrs when he was 18 months and is doing great!He has all his surgries done in SLC and have a wonderful Dr. who we trust and feel comfortable with.This is a wonderful site for questions,support and wonderful friendships.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.2 PR 1
© 2002-2005 PD9 Software