explaining to your kids?
nonny'smom
Posted 2004-06-29 11:19 AM (#2343)
Subject: explaining to your kids?

Extreme Veteran

If any of you have had sit down conversations with your children about their surgery, what did you say?

Janon is starting to ask a lot of questions and most times she really catches me off guard.

I didn't let her watch the show last night, but she heard me talking about it and this morning started asking questions.

Is she getting pokes? Why do the doctors have to fix her back? What are we going to do in Texas?

Last week she was all excited thinking she was going for fun. I didn't know how to explain to her then that it's not going to be a fun filled trip.

As time goes by she will have more and more questions and I'm trying to figure out the best way to explain it to her in terms a four year old can understand.

TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stees
Posted 2004-06-29 11:40 AM (#2345 - in reply to #2343)
Subject: Re: explaining to your kids?

Elite Veteran

Hi,
I need help with this one too. As I said in the Amazing Medical Stories thread, I didn't let Malcolm watch the show live with us. I am considering whether and how to present it to him. I'm not sure I would want to know the gory details if I were going to have the operation, even at my present advanced age.

At 3, Malcolm is not old enough to have a good discussion with a child veteran. However I think that sort of conversation would really help when he is older.

Carmell
Posted 2004-06-29 12:33 PM (#2349 - in reply to #2343)
Subject: RE: explaining to your kids?

Expert

My .02¢ on the subject of kids and information...

Anekka - I think Janon has great questions - things that need to be answered honestly, but in details according to her age and maturation.  I also agree with Susan that no one heading into this very invasive surgery needs to know the gory details of what goes on in the operating room.  It only gives you more anxiety, IMHO.  I think in Janon's case (and for children that age) should be the ones to initiate most of the conversation.  Let her ask questions, then answer them according to her level of understanding.  For example, if she asks if she's going to get pokes, tell her yes, but most of them will be done while she's sleeping in the operating room and she won't feel a thing with those.  The other pokes are very fast and that YOU (mom) will be with her the whole time.  Why do the doctors have to fix her back?  I would tell her something like "it will help you breathe better and have more energy to do all the fun things you want to do.  You have a special back that needs a little help from the doctors in Texas.  Things like that... does this make sense?

I would answer her questions as they come up.  Occasionally ask her point blank - do you have any questions about how you feel?  or about why we are going to Texas (assuming she already knows)?  I honestly believe that our kids feel the stress we have inside ourselves.  They handle the emotional stress MUCH better than we do, however, it can be very stressful for them.  Sometimes kids don't want their parents to see that they are worried, and they try to hide their fear.  Hopefully this won't happen because you are clued in to her emotionally and have a good communication.

Braydon watched the show last night at our neighbor's house.  The very minute the segment was over, he came flying into our house to look for his "hardware" to compare it to what he just watched.  I think Dr. Campbell's comments about how they adjust the rods once in place was good.  I also think it was very good that he emphasized the part about NOT doing surgery on the spine, but on the chestwall... then the spine just goes along for the ride.  Braydon is old enough and has been through these surgeries enough to know what to expect when watching the show.  I would not consider allowing him to see it if we were just getting started in the study.

I know you will do great.  Just keep asking questions and helping Janon have the confidence she needs to know she's a beautiful young lady, inside and out.  Once she finally has her implant, you will be able to look back and pat yourself on the back at this huge accomplishment that your entire family has been through.  And rightfully so.

Zoes Nana
Posted 2004-06-29 3:53 PM (#2355 - in reply to #2349)

Expert

Dear Anekka,
With Zoe, we have always followed her lead....
Zoe was just 2 when she had her implants, and there of
course at that time, was no explaining or questions from her....
But that changes as time goes by, and she becomes more inquisitive,
about what is happening to her...
We have found, just answer honestly, and keep it simple...And keep
re-insuring things will be fine...
I find, that I, when surgery is coming up, talking alot about, AFTER the
Surgery we will do this, AFTER the sugery we will do that....
Kind of taking Zoe Beyond, and Past the surgery...It truly Helps...
Any Date Yet?
You are in My Prayer as always...
Sincerly,
JOhanna

Cindy
Posted 2004-06-29 4:18 PM (#2357 - in reply to #2343)

Elite Veteran

Ian had his initial implant at 21 months, so we didn't tell him anything for his initial surgery. Now that he's almost four, and he's been through 5 expansions, he knows what "surgery" is. We have told him that he has scoliosis and that the surgeries are to help straighten his back. We have told him we don't know why his back is the way it is but that we love him and the surgeries are not a punishment but to help him. When he has an expansion coming up, we let him know a couple of days in advance that we are heading to Philadelphia for surgery. Every once in awhile, out of the blue, he says he doesn't want surgery. When that happens, we tell him that he's not having surgery for a long time.

We've started going to the pool regularly and several of the kids at the pool ask Ian what's on his back. This is the first time we've had other kids ask him directly what's wrong. He's been telling people: "it's my cut." So far he doesn't seem bothered by it. In the three summers (initial implant May 2002) we've been at the pool, only two adults have ever asked me what's wrong with his back. It's so true - kids will ask anything, its the adults who hold back.

Cindy
princessiceing02
Posted 2004-06-29 8:36 PM (#2359 - in reply to #2343)

Hi, I know I am a kid with the rib, but I have someadvice for before the surgery. Go to Texas or whereever you go a day early. Take your kids somewhere fun, if a older kid take them shoppin, or maybe younger take them to a movie or an amusement park. Trust me this helps. The kids will learn to stop worrying about the surgery and look forward to that time b4 surgery with there family having fun. It will turn into something like a vacation, with just a few days not so fun for them. If you have any questions just ask.
Zoes Nana
Posted 2004-06-30 8:36 AM (#2365 - in reply to #2359)

Expert

Great Advise Courtney....
We also try to do something fun with Zoe
In Boston before the surgery...
...If you can think of anything, that would have
ever made things easier for you through-out all of this, please let
us know...Or if your Mom would have any suggestions...Please tell
her let us know....

Thanks,
Johanna
nonny'smom
Posted 2004-06-30 9:13 AM (#2366 - in reply to #2343)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you everyone for your input.

We do plan on arriving early the Friday before the surgery and doing some fun things with her plus my best friend will have her newborn by then and Janon is super excited about that because when we were there for her eval, Janon kept asking if the baby was coming out while we were there

I did talk to her yesterday. When I got home she asked a few questions and I talked honestly and openly with her in terms a she can understand. We didn't talk a great deal about her back. She did want to know why she had to go into the hospital and I explained the doctors needed to help her breath better. This she completley understands. She said she wants mom and dad to wear shirts with her picture on them when she is in the hospital (dh has one we got for him for his birthday and she loves it when he wears it) So before we fly out I'm taking her to the mall to get another one made. We talked about pokes and that she would get them but most would happen when she is sleeping (this was important because a doc lied to her before and told her no pokes because he figured she would be asleep, well duh she is going to wake up and see the bandage).

So all in all it was a good conversation we spoke a lot on what would happen after. After out the hospital she can run and play without taking a break and needing the nebulizer, after we would go shopping, and when we get home there is a big welcome home party (thanks Johanna).

She seems content for now and I'm sure she will have more questions later and we will talk more.

Thanks again everyone
Carmell
Posted 2004-06-30 11:30 AM (#2371 - in reply to #2366)

Expert

Great job Anekka. It sounds like you are doing just fine, and Janon is too. Keep up the great work!

princessiceing02
Posted 2004-06-30 4:12 PM (#2378 - in reply to #2343)

Zoe's Nana do u guys have to do that RSV test. what does she think of it.
Zoes Nana
Posted 2004-06-30 4:36 PM (#2379 - in reply to #2378)

Expert

Courtney:
Zoe only had the RSV test once and that was when she was under, so
she would not remember it......
Johanna
nataliaowensmom
Posted 2004-06-30 4:43 PM (#2381 - in reply to #2378)

Elite Veteran

Owen has to have the RSV nasal wash if he is having surgery within the months of Oct-March. And for the record...he dispises it!:
Carmell
Posted 2004-06-30 4:57 PM (#2383 - in reply to #2378)

Expert

Braydon had to have the nasal wash with his implant and first expansion surgery. Since then, he hasn't needed to have them (2 years now). He is 9yrs old, so maybe being "older" makes a difference? Courtney - do you still have nasal wash/RSV tests? YUCK!

Emily's Mom
Posted 2004-06-30 11:18 PM (#2391 - in reply to #2343)

Expert

Emily received the RSV shots in the past but has not had the nasal wash. Is that a one time thing before surgery or is it recommended monthly? We did talk about that a little while we were in Texas for the evaluation, because I was a little concerned about the potential surgery being during the winter months.
Janita
nataliaowensmom
Posted 2004-07-01 10:47 AM (#2407 - in reply to #2391)

Elite Veteran

For little ones it is protocol during the months of Oct-March. They ask you to do the nasal wash in your hometown then when you have your pre-op done, they do it again. (This is for TX anyway, I don't know about the other sites)

Hope this helps!

Emily's Mom
Posted 2004-07-01 1:18 PM (#2409 - in reply to #2343)

Expert

Is it once a month during the months of Oct-March? Do they squirt the medication up their nose or what is involved? Sorry, for the ignorance :rolleyes:. Like I said I was familiar with the shots not this spray.
THANKS!!
Janita
Carmell
Posted 2004-07-01 1:28 PM (#2410 - in reply to #2409)

Expert

Hi Janita,

I think there is a little confusion here re: the RSV nasal wash.  The nasal wash is a one-time TEST to determine if the RSV virus is in the child's body.  If the test is positive, they will cancel/postpone surgery - the child will not be a good surgical candidate at that time.  They do this for the children between infant and age 6-8 during the RSV season (Oct-Mar) so they do not have a harder recovery period.  If the child were to have full-blown RSV while trying to recovery from major surgery, they could have major complications.  It is a precautionary test, one that San Antonio is very strict about, but the other centers are not.  HTH

nataliaowensmom
Posted 2004-07-01 2:17 PM (#2411 - in reply to #2410)

Elite Veteran

Thanks Carm!:
princessiceing02
Posted 2004-07-01 7:54 PM (#2415 - in reply to #2343)

yeah, i still have to have it done, even though i m 14. I don't really noe why but oh well
princessiceing02
Posted 2004-07-01 7:54 PM (#2416 - in reply to #2343)

yeah, i still have to have it done, even though i m 14. I don't really noe why but oh well
Zoes Nana
Posted 2004-07-01 9:40 PM (#2417 - in reply to #2410)

Expert

OK, Now I'm curious....
I know that Zoe was tested only once, for RSV, and that had nothing
to do with her TRP surgery, but was during her ARDS event last year....And we
actually did not have to agree to it then, it was by permission only...
Zoe has had all her TRPs and expansions in Boston,
in the months of Oct, Nov, Jan. and April, June, August, and this test is not
a part of there Protocol....
This sounds like perhaps not a TRP protocol, but the Hospital itself...
Interesting....Would the RSV Virus be more prevalant in the Warmer
states??
Johanna
Emily's Mom
Posted 2004-07-02 10:48 AM (#2422 - in reply to #2343)

Expert

Okay, now I get it! Thanks!
Janita
Emily's Mom
Posted 2004-07-02 10:48 AM (#2423 - in reply to #2343)

Expert

Okay, now I get it! Thanks!
Janita
Emily's Mom
Posted 2004-07-02 10:51 AM (#2424 - in reply to #2343)

Expert

I did the "double post" again!
I wonder how many times I have done that?
Oh well, no you really know that I get it!!
Janita
princessiceing02
Posted 2004-07-02 1:27 PM (#2427 - in reply to #2343)

My mom said that Dr. Campbell says it's protocal b/c it's for his study
mtnmom
Posted 2004-08-05 12:24 PM (#2786 - in reply to #2343)

Elite Veteran

I haven't been very active and so missed the show, could someone fill me in on that please?

Nikki has started to ask questions, but they're pretty limited. It's like she doesn't want to know and I'm unsure how much to push her on it. Any thoughts?

She doesn't like the thought of this thing being in her back all the time, but loves the fact that she's going to be asleep while it happens!! Isn't that funny? Her "I don't like it but ok Mom" attitude cracks me up.

I hadn't even thought to cover "pokes", but now I have an idea what to tell her, thank you all.
Carmell
Posted 2004-08-05 12:43 PM (#2790 - in reply to #2786)

Expert

Hi Brenna,

I know how anxious you must be, with surgery just a couple of weeks away.  Its very normal to feel worried and to now know how to talk to your child.  My suggestion (and this is just based on our experiences) is to give her opportunities to talk, but don't push her.  Let her ask questions, if she wants, but don't force information on her.  She will obviously need to know the basics - why you are going to the hospital very far away (to have an operation on her back); that she'll be in the hospital for a few days; and that she'll be sore for a while when she does come home.  You could also practice the pre-op kind of things (i.e., listening to her heart, looking in her ears and throat, maybe even a bandaid or something) then let HER be the doctor.  Kids like to be "in charge".

I also know that at PCMC in SLC, they put the child to sleep before ANY IVs are placed.  The anesthesiologist will talk to you before the surgery time, so ask lots of questions.  If you've had good or bad experiences with surgery before, make sure they know.  They should listen to your input.  Dr. Smith and Melissa are GREAT.  If you have any questions, they are always good to answer them.  We *may* be in SLC on the 25th... I wonder if you will be up to visitors by then.  Where will you be staying?  Send me a private message if you would like suggestions or anything - if I can help in any way.

Take care and I'll be thinking of you both!

Kimm0330
Posted 2004-08-06 10:02 AM (#2808 - in reply to #2343)

Extreme Veteran

Brenna,
We are very open with Sarah. She knows that when we go to Pittsburgh it is for her "back". We always make sure to have a fun day before she goes in the hospital and we always tell her what she will be in for. However we explain it to her in a way she can try to understand. This last time she did great. She knew why we were there and that her Doctor would make her back feel better and that it would help her grow and be able to play outside more. Sarah is on oxygen so she liked the idea of being able to play outside with out carrying her portable around. Also this last surgery she noticed all the sterry strips on her back and also the dried blood. She was so brave and said now I have "marks" like daddy. My husband just retired from National Guard and has many scars. So now she is happy she looks like daddy.
Our children are wonderful in so many ways and they understand more than we think. Sarah told someone the other day that she was special because she beeps when we go thru metal detectors..........LOL
Many blessings to everyone,
Kim
stees
Posted 2004-08-06 9:51 PM (#2820 - in reply to #2343)

Elite Veteran

Kim,
Great story!
mtnmom
Posted 2004-08-08 3:53 PM (#2841 - in reply to #2343)

Elite Veteran

I'd forgotten that she'll beep at the metal detectors now, that's cute how your daughter takes it all. Nikki reacted so badly to the brace - she was crying constantly, didn't want to walk, play, or any kind of normal activity. It was absolutely psychologically devastating for her. So I guess I'm ultra paranoid about how she'll handle this procedure. She is the happiest kid otherwise w/o a care in the world and she usually handles things so easily. So, I'm gonna appeal to that side of her personality if we run into difficulty. Guess I should prepare her for beeping at the detectors tho!!
Carmell
Posted 2004-08-08 6:22 PM (#2843 - in reply to #2841)

Expert

Brenna,

The only time she'll beep at metal detectors is if she has a type of metal that is NOT titanium.  Braydon's two rods are 100% titanium, so he does NOT set off metal detectors.  If there is any part of the device that is another metal (stainless steel, etc.) then she would set off a metal detector.  It is against the law to have a 100% titanium gun because they do not set of metal detectors.  Titanium is a lightweight metal that is very well tolerated by the body.  In all the times we've traveled with Braydon through airports, I've had my xrays handy, just in case, but we've never needed them - because he has 100% titanium.  Interesting...

Zoes Nana
Posted 2004-08-08 10:30 PM (#2844 - in reply to #2786)

Expert

Dear Brenna:
Please know that you are in our Thoughts and Prayers...for
how well we all here know what you are going thru....
Zoe was just 2-1/2, four years ago when she had her implants...
so there was not much explaining to her what would be happening...
Looking back, I can see where that really was a God send for us,
around her, who were really so emotionally numb at the time....
But now 13 surguries latter, and the fact that Zoe is now 6, we
tell her everything that she can understand for her age....
She and I, about 3 weeks before surgery start to run thru what she
will have to expect...X-rays, Ct Scans, PFT's, Blood Work, Ect...
And as hard as all these thing seem, it is amazing, how trusting
Zoe is about it all....It is like, "If Mom, Nana, and Pop, tell me
it will be OK, I am OK with it...."
Keep your Faith in God, and Your Doctors, and Also Keep Faith in
Yourself, that you will be strong thru it all....
And like I have told Many Parents, the Day of Surgery, though we cannot
be seen....We will all be in that waiting room with you, Holding your
hand....For we know every emotion you will be going thru....
But the Hope that the "Titanium Ribs" give to our Children,
A Hope that only Titaniun Ribs can offer, is worth it all.....
God Bless You....
Sincerely,
Johanna Lambert

Edited by Zoes Nana 2004-08-08 10:32 PM
mtnmom
Posted 2004-08-18 11:47 AM (#3001 - in reply to #2343)

Elite Veteran

Interesting about the beeping at the airports, Dr. Smith told us that she probably would set them off..... hmmmmmm

Brenna

P.S. Johanna, thanks for your wonderful post!